The main features of this line are shown in the table below. The O Train runs from Bayview station (north) to Greenboro station (south). Passengers travelling southwards should read the table from top to bottom while those travelling northwards should read from bottom to top.
History of the line
The line between Greenboro and Chaudiere Junction was built by the Bytown and Prescott Railway as part of their line between Prescott on the St. Lawrence River to Ottawa, Sussex Street. This section was built in November 1854 and opened to traffic in December 1854.
The section of line from Chaudiere Junction to the switch leading to Bayview Station was built by the St. Lawrence and Ottawa Railway, the successor to the Bytown and Prescott, and opened to traffic on December 13, 1871.
line was acquired by
the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1884 and was subsequently sold to the
city of Ottawa
short length of
line from the
switch to Bayview Station was built for the opening of the
O Train on October 15, 2001. When originally built, the line crossed
Rideau Canal at Dows Lake on a swing bridge and then skirted Dows Lake. It then ran at ground
level with many
crossings at grade with city streets.
order to eliminate these crossings, the Federal Government funded the
tunnel under Dows Lake as well as the cuts leading to it. The lowering of
the tracks and associated grade separations was completed in 1966.
Kilometer posts are located on the west side of the line while signals are mainly to the right of the train in the direction of travel (i.e. on the east side for northbound trains and on the west side for southbound trains.
The original Talent diesel multiple units ceased operating on 27 February 2015 and the Coradia Lint diesel multiple units commenced operations on 2 March 2015
overpass. Opened in 1981.
for the opening of the O Train on October 15, 2001. From 1966
the late 70s CPR operated a shelter called Ottawa West on the main line
to the northwest of this point. The station was used by Budd
Diesel Cars (RDC's) running between Ottawa Station and Montreal via
Hull/Gatineau and Lachute.
|Albert Street overpass, originally Wellington and Scott Streets. Built in its present location in 1968. The CPR Ottawa West roundhouse stood in this area until April 1968.|
|The track between Bayview station and the switch towards the Prince of Wales Bridge is regarded as a spur and Rule 105 applies.|
|Bend in track caused by City of Ottawa reluctance to relocate a hydro pole which is in the way.|
Station. Start/End CTC. Put in for the opening of the O Train on
15, 2001. The
line to the Prince of Wales Bridge is
protected by a derail north of the switch at the end of the signalled
No trains have travelled
across the bridge since 26 July 2001. The frog to this switch
removed in the summer of 2010 thus severing the link to the POW bridge. The switch was later changed to plain track.
|7.4||Two aspect signal 74. Applies to southbound trains entering Gladstone passing track..|
The original bridge here was built in 1896 and widened
by the addition of a second bridge on the south side in 1907.
reconstructed in 1928, 1966 and 1982.
|7.3||Two aspect signals 73W and 73E. Controls entrance to single track to Bayview. (northbound trains)
|Gladstone passing track brought into service in March 2015.|
|Two aspect signal 7. Controls entrance to east Gladstone passing track - northbound trains.|
|7||Kilometer post 7.|
|Two aspect signals 70W and 70E. Apply to southbound trains entering the single track towards Carling|
|6.9||Two aspect signal 69. Controls entrance to west Gladstone passing track - northbound trains
|On the west side is former railway
switch back, to serve Bruce Fuels and Standard Bread . This was
in 1987. |
On the east side can be seen the curved City Centre complex, formerly rail-served, which was opened in 1962-3.
|Gladstone Avenue overpass. Opened in 1966.|
|Queensway overpass. Opened in 1965.|
|Young Street pedestrian overpass. Opened in 1966.|
|Beech Street overpass. Opened in 1964. The brick-built former warehouse to the north-east used to have rail access.|
|6.1||Two aspect signal 61. Applies to Northbound trains.|
|Carling station. Built for the opening of the O Train on October 15, 2001.|
|Three Aspect Dwarf signal 60. Applies to southbound trains.|
|Carling Avenue overpass. Opened in 1964.|
|6||Kilometer post 6|
|Prince of Wales Drive overpass. Opened in 1964.|
signal 56. Applies
to southbound trains. When lit this indicates that the
tunnel is not flooded with water.
|Tunnel under Dows Lake. Opened in 1964. For further details see http://www.railways.incanada.net/circle/CPR%20Dows%20tunnel%201963%20drawings%20lowres.jpg|
signal 49. Applies
to northbound trains. When lit this indicates that the tunnel
not flooded with water.
|Carleton University Overhead Parking Garage. Opened 2014|
|Campus Avenue overpass. Opened in 1969. (Originally known as Sunnyside Road).|
Aspect Dwarf signals 43W and 43E. Applies to northbound trains. Controls entrance to single track section to Gladstone.
station passing track. Built
for the opening of the O Train on October
15, 2001. Passing track with
switches at each end.
Aspect Dwarf signals 42W and 42E. Applies to southbound trains. Controls entrance to single track section to the Ellwood Diamond.
Built for the
opening of the O Train on
15, 2001, replacing
an earlier culvert underpass.
|4||Kilometer post 4.|
This was originally built about 1912 to allow
trains to pass under the railway. They were used to transport
earth and clay from the vicinity of Hartwell's Locks to fill in a
swampy area, including an inlet of the Rideau River, at the south end
of Bronson Avenue, now known as Brewer Park. It was rebuilt
1926 as a concrete slab underpass. For further details of the narrow gauge railway see http://www.railways.incanada.net/circle/findings3.htm#CUtramway
|University Road underpass. Reconstructed into the present form in 1967.|
The first bridge at this location was a wooden one
three 100 foot spans. It was rebuilt in 1882 and the new
was painted white and known locally as the "White Bridge". It
replaced in 1912-13 by
one 100 foot deck lattice span, two 60 foot plate girder spans and two
30 foot deck plate girder spans. One of the spans was brought
Magog, Quebec. The north end was rebuilt in 1967. A cycle
the south end of the bridge. Except for the rails over this bridge the
line is laid with continuously welded rails laid new in July
2004. An emergency walk way was installed in 2001. The bridge
piers was renovated in the summer of 2010. For further details of the bridge's history see http://www.railways.incanada.net/circle/Findings_Bridges.htm#St.LORideauRiver
|Vincent Massey park. West side.|
|Riverside Drive overpass. Reconstructed in its present form in 1962, previously a wooden bridge.|
|Tunnel under Heron Road. Constructed in 1970.|
|Confederation station. Built for the opening of the O Train on October 15, 2001.|
|2.8||Two Aspect Signal 28. Applies to southbound trains.|
|Airport Parkway overpass. Opened in 1973.|
|On the east side can
be seen the location
of the former
connecting line to the line now used by the VIA Rail Canada trains.
The connecting switch was removed in June 2003. At
there was also a connecting track in the south west quadrant
although there were plans to do so, there was never a connection in the
north east quadrant.
diamond or flat crossing was constructed in 1910 when the Canadian
Northern Ontario Railway built its line across the Canadian Pacific
Railway line. The original manually operated interlocking
replaced by an automatic protection system in 1936. This line is now
used by VIA Rail Canada trains to and from Toronto. This is
labelled "Ellwood Junction", it should be "Ellwood Crossing" or
|OC Transpo Transitway overpass, opened in 1996.|
|2.3||Two Aspect Signal 23. Applies to northbound trains.|
|Bridge over Sawmill Creek. This bridge was reconstructed in 1914 and in the summer of 2001 in preparation for the opening of the O Train.|
Way. Crossing at kilometer 2.18. This was closed in 2014 and a pedestrian underpass was constructed in 2015
|2||Kilometer post 2.|
|Two aspect signal 20. Applies to southbound trains.|
|1.9||Two aspect signals 19E and 19W applies to northbound trains. Controls entrance to single track section to Carleton.|
|Brookfield double track section, brought into service in March 2015.|
|1.6||Two aspect signals 16W and 16E. Controls entrance single track southbound trains towards Greenboro|
|1.3||Three aspect signal 13 applies to northbound trains. Controls entrance to Brookfield double track section.|
|Walkley Road overpass. Opened in 1978.|
|1||Kilometer post 1.|
Here the line curves away from the original line
northward to Sussex Street. Originally this was known as Chaudiere
Junction and later became known as Ellwood when the railway named
Ellwood Station after two local families, the Ellises and the Woods.
|0.7||Two aspect signal 7. Applies to northbound trains.|
|0.6||Two Aspect Signal 6. Applies to southbound trains|
|Disused siding to LCBO warehouse.|
|North connection to Walkley Yard. Opened in 1961.|
Dwarf signal 5 controls
northbound movements from the Walkley Yard connection on to the main
is a diamond, or flat crossing, with the Walkley freight line which
connects the Walkley freight yards, to the east, with the main line, to
the west. This line was built by the National Capital
and opened to traffic on November 19, 1953 as part of the scheme to
route trains away from downtown Ottawa. The O Trains are
maintained in Walkley Yard.
|OC Transpo Transitway underpass. Built about 1992.|
|South connection to Walkley Yard. Opened in 1967.|
|Three Aspect Signal 1. Applies to northbound trains.|
|Greenboro station kilometer 0. Built for the opening of the Southeast Transitway in 1994 and expanded to include the platform and footbridge of the O Train on October 15, 2001. The design of the addition was conceived by the late Darrell Richards, former Transport 2000 president, who is commemorated by a bronze City of Ottawa plaque in the station. The line continues southwards. A few CN train a year deliver equipment to be tested to the NRC facility near Lester Road. Unused rail continues to just north of Leitrim Road.|
Updated 3 April 2015.