The Railways of Ottawa
Findings of the Circle - Part 3

Finding No. 18 Updated December 2012
Area Industries
18.1  Ottawa Gas
18.2  Canada Atlantic Railway Rideau Canal siding
18.3  Internal Tramways

18.1  Ottawa Gas

Click here to view a large scale location plan.

On 8 January 1913 the GTR was authorized to construct, within 6 months, a siding from a point on the GTR on lot G, Rideau Front, Nepean twp., now in the City of Ottawa, thence extending in a westerly direction to and into the premises of Ottawa Gas Co. on lot G.

Ottawa Gas
This oblique aerial photo of Ottawa Gas, taken in 1961, is available from the City of Ottawa Archives, reference CA-8495.

Tha above plan is dated June 1916.  The 1956 fire insurance plan of Ottawa Gas shows a main track and a long passing siding  of about 640 feet running almost the full length of the site.  The siding is labelled "Electric Siding".  There is also a 90-foot stub siding at the west end of the site and a 400-foot long connection across Lees Avenue from Ottawa Gas to the Currie Coal Tar Distillation Plant (or Tar Pitch Factory).

The east switch of the electric siding is about 150 feet inside the property and at least another 50 feet from the Bank Street line.  It seems that the gas works siding diverged slowly and descended from the Bank Street line at Riverside.

An 1958 aerial photograph does not show rolling stock on the site.  A 1928 picture does appear to show a couple of pieces of rolling stock on the main track.  There is a small building beside the west siding in 1928 which could have been used to store the locomotive.  The 1958 aerial photo seems to show some extensions of the trackage at the west end of the site, possibly curving around the gas holder, and some additional buildings not identified on the insurance maps.

Hull Electric Railway (see No. 11) locomotive No. 1, which was built by CGE in Peterborough in 1896, was sold to Ottawa Gas in 1927.  An early picture of the Hull Electric locomotive No. 1 is available from the National Archives, reference PA-203601.

There was a steel conveyor to deliver coal from the rail line into the coal shed by the large gas holder.  This shed also included oil storage.  It is connected to a long steel trestle and overhead electric crane which ran most of the length of the site (almost 450 feet).  Three coal or coke piles are visible under this crane, both on the fire insurance plan and on the aerial photograph of 1928.  The coke was probably removed by truck for local delivery. There was a weigh scale at the gate.


18.2    Canada Atlantic Railway, Rideau Canal siding - Silicate Brick Company.

In March-May 1892 the Canada Atlantic Railway built a siding from its main line just east of the Rideau Canal drawbridge down to a wharf on the Rideau Canal.  The company cribbed the frontage and it was used free of charge by the bargemen for transhipment between barge and railcar.

The Ottawa Daily Citizen reported on 28 April 1892:

The C.A. Railway company have about completed their new wharves on the canal.  When the rails are laid cars will be able to be loaded from the barges.

The Ottawa Evening Journal also reported on the same date:

The new wharves which the C.A.R. are erecting along the canal are almost complete.

The Ottawa Journal, on 8 August 1895, reported a runaway on the siding:

A freight car ran off the siding running down to the canal east of the C.A.R. swing bridge this morning.  The car ran against the bridge, broke a truck and almost canted into the canal.

For some reason no lease was executed on Rideau Canal Reserve land which was not authorized by Order in Council until 29 August 1903.  The Silicate Brick Company entered into a lease for land to the south of the CAR wharf and a siding was built into the premises and authorized by order 19788 of 10 July 1913.

This picture shows the siding into the Silicate Brick Company in Canada Atlantic days (the cars are equipped with link and pin couplers).
To the right is the Rideau Canal and on the left Echo Drive.
N.Bruce Ballantyne collection.

In 1915, the City of Ottawa was planning the construction of the Pretoria Avenue Bridge between Pretoria and Hawthorne Avenues and the access road on the east side of the canal would have cut across the by then GTR wharf and the siding.  As a result the siding was ordered abandoned by order 24422 of 8 November 1915 and the lease was cancelled.

18.3    Internal Tramways updated 3 December 2012

Many local industries used tramways as a part of their internal distribution systems or as part of the construction process.  The following table summarizes those we have been able to identify

Location
Company
Date
Notes
Alfred
Department of Mines
1909-29
See Finding No. 16.
Arnprior
Dochert Brick and Tile

See industrial locomotive listing for Arnprior, Ontario.
Arnprior
McLachlin Bros.
1871
Ottawa Free Press 19 April 1871.
Buckingham



Buckingham
Buckingham Plumbago
1875
Built a tramway (double track inclined plane) late 1875.  Ottawa Times 11 October 1875; Ottawa Journal 12 February 1894. (Walker's Plumbago); Ottawa Free Press 25 October, 1 November 1875; 20 August 1877.
Buckingham
Canadian Phosphate
1888
Ottawa Journal 7 July 1888.
Buckingham
Ottawa Iron and Manufacturing (Haycock Iron Mine)
1874
"(Mr. Haycock) has constructed and in working order a HORSE RAILWAY six miles and a quarter in length from his mines to the Gatineau River."  31 cars were used. Ottawa Free Press 5 October 1874; 17 January 1876.
The Gauge was 3 feet Globe and Mail 14 February 1881.  For a map click here.
Buckingham
High Rock Mine
1887
Ottawa Journal 5 August 1887, 7 July 1888.
Little Rapids
Allan Phosphate Mine
1887
Ottawa Journal 23 May 1887, 16 July 1887, 12 August 1887.
Buckingham
Crown Hill Line
1889
Ottawa Free Press 24 April 1889.
Buckingham
North Star Mine
1889
Ottawa Free Press 24 April 1889.
Carleton Place
Canada Lumber
1889
Renfrew Mercury 20 September 1889.
Chelsea



Chelsea
Haycock
1865?
Ottawa Citizen 2 May 1893.
Chelsea
Quebec Hydro

See industrial locomotive listing for Chelsea, Quebec.
Deschenes
Deschenes mills
1893
Ottawa Citizen 29 October 1893.

Conroy Mills
1893
Ottawa Free Press 16 January 1893 - planning to obtain a small locomotive like the one in use at Buell & Hurdman.  Ottawa Free Press 20 October 1893 - accident while "working on a flatcar which an engine was taking through the lumber yards."
Gatineau Point
J.R. Booth
1889
Piling grounds "almost opposite Gatineau Point".  Ottawa Free Press 13 September 1889.
Hawkesbury
Hamiltons mill
1865
The Union, Ottawa 13 September 1865.
Hull
Buell & Hurdman (Buell, Orr & Co.
1892
Small locomotive in use by 1892 Ottawa Free Press 16 January 1893; Ottawa Citizen 11 September 1896; Ottawa Citizen 29 May 1897.  Fire Insurance plans NMC 103074 of 1884 and 10404 of 1891 shows leased from E.B. Eddy.
Brigham's Creek
Ottawa Iron & Steel
1874
Tramway under construction at the Haycock Iron Mine in 1874.  Ottawa Citizen 25 June 1874 and 31 October 1874.
Hull and Wright Island
E.B. Eddy
7/1875
Locomotives used from May 1888, converted to standard gauge.  See Finding 5.16 and Industrial locomotive listing for Hull, Quebec. Shown on Fire Insurance plans 103074 of 1884 and 33002 of 1895. Part or all leased to Buell & Hurdman and later Hull Lumber (q.v.).
Fire Insurance plan NMC 10376 of 1898 shows "system of tramways in this yard disused at present but may be revived and location changed when the Interprovincial Bridge is completed and company's private system of switches and sidings are connected herewith."
Brewery Creek
Gilmour & Hughson
1901
System of raised tramways shown in Fire Insurance plan NMC 11921 of 1901, located on the Ottawa River on the west side of Brewery Creek.
Hull and Wright Island
Hull Lumber

See E.B. Eddy.
Ironsides
Forsyth iron mine
1880
Internal tramway.  Ottawa Free Press 21 January 1880.
Kingston
Kingston Penitentiary

See http://www.railways.incanada.net/circle/findings2.htm#KingstonPenitentiary
Ottawa



Billings Bridge
Merkley
c.1893-1955
Brickworks believed to have had an internal narrow gauge tramway.
Billings Bridge
Dolan & Code
1912
Construction of Canadian Northern Railway. Ottawa Journal 27 March 1912.
Britannia
Metropolitan Electric
1899-1900
Locomotives were used in the construction of the Britannia Power Canal by the  Metropolitan Electric Company.  The work was carried out by Messrs. Brewder (or Bruder) & M(a)cNaughton, contractors.  May have been abandoned and left at Britannia after completion. Ottawa Journal - 29 November 1899 & 15 June 1912.  Ottawa Citizen - 13 January; 8 & 24 February; 3, 4 & 17 April; May 1 & 18; June 30 1899.
There was about two miles of track with at least 28 cars in use.
Britannia
Ottawa Electric
1899
"Two locomotives and about forty cars are in use ballasting the line" (construction of OER Britannia line).  Ottawa Journal 22 November 1899.  At least one of these was from the C.P.R. Ottawa Free Press 23 October 1899.
Canal Basin
Currier & Co.
1882
Elevated tramway.  Ottawa Free Press 27 April 1882.
Chaudiere
?
1868
Ottawa Times 26 June 1868.
Chaudiere
Baldwin's mills
1876
Ottawa Citizen 11&16 May 1876
Chaudiere
J.R. Booth
1875
Ottawa Citizen 21 July 1875, 3 July 1881, 12 October 1897. Shown in Fire Insurance plan NMC 33002, 1895.
Chaudiere
Bronson & Weston
1878
Ottawa Free Press71 Jue 1878; 1 April 1880; 29 June 1882; Ottawa Journal 14 April 1890; Ottawa Free Press 26 January 1894; Ottawa Citizen 6 September 1899. Shown in Fire Insurance plan NMC 33002, 1895.
Chaudiere
Hull Lumber
1897
Ottawa Journal 26 May 1897.
Chaudiere
Hurdman's mills
1888
Ottawa Citizen 30 May 1888, 26 August 1889.
ChaudiereBradings Brewery/
Ottawa sewer
?This was brought to light through an article in the Ottawa Citizen 23 Nov 2012  "Lost  Train to Nowhere Lebreton's Underground Railway" by Ian McLeod. http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/abandoned+rail+tunnel+lost+train+somewhere+beneath+LeBreton/7596660/story.html
However, subsequent correspondence with a former brewery employee of indicated that the north-south tunnel contained a conveyor belt only.  The east-west tunnel appears to be quite deep (10 metres).  Subsequent correspondence with Ian McLeod from people who worked at the brewery indicated:
1. that there was no railway in the brewery at all;
2. there was an underground railway and
"One chap recalled how his father, who worked at Brading’s, often talked about a little underground train. Another man, recalled how a friend of his in the mining business in Northern Ontario worked on and off at Brading’s was sometimes called on to drive a small train there when the regular driver was off sick."

3. another possibility is that the east-west tunnel is/was part of the Ottawa Sewer system and the train was used to remove spoil during construction.  Upon completion of the work the small train might have been abandoned rather than going to the expense of removing it.
In short - to date (December 2012) it is not known whether there was a railway here, who built it or if it has survived.
Chaudiere
Perley & Pattee
1876
Ottawa Citizen 15 September 1876, 29 May 1888, 1 June 1889, 27 November 1899.
Ottawa Free Press 11 May 1876; 4 August 1880, 2 November 1880, 14 November 1882; 8 November 1893.  Shown on Fire Insurance plan, 1888, NMC 32999.
This tramway crossed Bridge street which was protected by a signal.  
N.B. Perley and Pattee were purchased by J.R. Booth in the early 1890's.
Chaudiere
Pierce & Co.
1889
Ottawa Free Press 14 March 1889 & 24 July 1889; Ottawa Journal 27 March 1889.
Eastview
Baker and Betcherman

Narrow gauge tramway, no locomotives.
Hartwell's Locks
Unknown
1910-1920
Used to move soil from Hartwell's locks as infill.  Narrow gauge steam locomotives in use.
Glebe
Unknown

No information.  See Finding No. 19.
Golden Triangle
Bronson
1888
Bronson's piling ground and tramway, north of CAR and west of the Rideau Canal, shown on Fire Insurance plan NMC 32999-105.  
Hogs Back
Royal Engineers
1828-29
See Finding No. 8.
Mackenzie Avenue Unknown
?
Short railway used in construction of the Revenue Building.  From a picture in the City of Ottawa Archives.
New Edinburgh
Edwards mill
1893
Ottawa Free Press 28 March 1893 and 14 April 1893.
Parliament Hill
Goodwin also
Gibson
1872-1876
Used in the construction of the Dufferin Bridge and later to move spoil from Parliament Hill to Majors Hill.  See Finding No. 20.
Rideau Falls
Currier & Co.
c. 1861
The Union, Ottawa 10 October 1861
Rideau Locks
Unknown
1899-1900
Short (standard gauge?) tramway used in the construction of the line between Nepean Point and Ottawa Central Depot. From National Archives photo PA-32188.
Rockland
Edwards mill

See industrial locomotive listing for Rockland, Ontario.

Johnson's quarry
1893
Railway line built for some three miles from teh quarry to the Ottawa River to ship out stone for teh Soulanges Canal.  Ottawa Free Press 3 March 1893.
Renfrew
M.J. O'Brien
c 1914-1917
Narrow gauge railway in explosives factory.  See industrial locomotive listing for Renfrew, Ontario.

Finding No. 19.1 Updated 5 February 2005

The Glebe Tramway

The book "The Story of the Glebe" by John Leaning refers, on page 20, to a railway in the Glebe.

"....for a while, a rail-track to carry fill from a hill on the site of the future Glebe Collegiate to fill in the low area at Second and Third Avenues at Bank Street".

A phone call with Mr. Leaning indicated that this was built in the 1890 period but no further details. 

Finding No. 19.2 Updated May 2009

The Tramway at the site of Carleton University.

This tramway was described by Lee Gault in Branchline of August 1971.

THE OTTAWA NARROW GAUGE RAILWAY - 1912.

by Lee Gault



Taking my cue from the name of our Society, I was inspired to contribute a little local history for the Newsletter.

It is about a narrow gauge railway, which operated in the City of Ottawa during the 1912 era, it is not recorded in the Railways of early Ottawa nor can it be found on any Ottawa maps of that period. I am pleased, therefore, that I was able to confirm that my recollections, of such a narrow gauge line was not a recent affliction of the mind "brought on by association with a bunch of railroad nuts”. Graham Lancaster, also a native of Ottawa, and his brother Bill were able to remember the same operation in far greater detail. The line did not carry passengers or freight but transported earth and clay to fill in a swampy area, including an inlet of the Rideau River at the south end of Bronson Avenue, now known as Brewer’s Park.

A parcel of the higher land adjacent to the CPR tracks south of Dows Lake belonged to the Orr family and according to memory became part of the Rogers Estate.  A Mr. V. Rogers undertook to fill in the large swamp and inlet by an ambitious project. He brought in narrow gauge railway equipment consisting of two 0-4-0 saddle tank steam engines and several four wheel side-dumping cars plus one or two steam shovels. One line was used to remove a small hill or mound from the Seneca area for fill and the second line ran from Cunningham’s Hill, which is now part of the Carleton campus. This second line ran east from the hill, over a wood trestle to cross the spillway creek from Hartwell Locks, then went under the CPR tracks through a stone culvert near White Bridge (it was white). It continued more or less parallel along the Rideau to the Brewer Park filling operation. The track was moved as the filling progressed by simply pinching it over a few feet at a time with crow bars powered "by brawny muscles and bits of encouragement from the section foreman.” The steam shovel scooped gobs of clay from the hill to fill the cars and the engine hauled it's unit train away to the point of dumping.

I do not know what Mr. Roger's plans were, other than to improve and enlarge the estate. The operation came to a close about the beginning of World War 1 but the equipment remained on the scene for some time. The two engines were protected by a. wooden shed. They were hauled away about 1918 by the Dominion Cartage Go, with Bert Holloway in charge. He used low slung lorries drawn by six horse teams. They were loaded on flat cars and headed out to Prescott, destination unknown.

There is a lot of sticky clay in Brewer's park as testimony of the forgotten filling operation. Also, the stone culvert under the CPR right-of-way, which is shown on Ottawa maps of 1915 or later, remains and is used for a pathway to the Campus, The spillway at Hartwell Locks has been closed off and the creek bed disappeared with the construction of Carleton University.

What a treasure this line would have been to our hi-balling members.


An interesting article by Jean-Claude Dube and John Calvert in the May 2009 issue of OSCAR, page 18-19, (Ottawa South Community Association) gives a description of the Ottawa South Property Company which carried out this work.  This can be found at: http://www.oldottawasouth.ca/documents/oscar/2009/2009-05-May.pdf

Finding No. 20 Updated 20 April 2004

The Dufferin Bridge or Parliament Hill Tramway
The Ottawa Citizen of 19 July 1872 reported:

"Mr. Goodwin, the contractor for the new bridge, has erected an elevated tramway across the Canal, by means of which he proposes conveying the clay excavated on the western hill in grading Wellington street, across the Canal, for the purpose of filling in the Eastern abutments of the bridge."

In September 1873, the tramway was extended westwards and used to move spoil and rock from Parliament Square to Major's Hill (cars started to run on this section on September 26).  This was carried out by Mr. Gibson and the work may have involved a new bridge or alterations to the original one. In 1874, the papers reported an accident which occurred to a man walking along a tramway near Parliament Hill.  Horses were used to move car loads (or loreys) of earth, although they were unhitched before the bridge and presumably moved over it by gravity.  The man, Patrick Conklin, was crossing the bridge and was about to be overtaken by some cars.  He jumped on to the railing which gave way and he fell head first some forty feet to the ground.  He recovered in hospital.
A second accident resulted in the derailment of a car on the bridge in August 1875.

Some of the rails and cars were shipped by the barge "Davis" to the Buckingham Plumbago Company on 10 October 1875, this company proposed to build a tramway from the mine to the Ottawa River. A temporary tramway was constructed to take the rails and cars down to the canal locks for loading.  However, the last of the rails was not removed until 12 July 1876.  The mud cars, the property of Mr. Gibson, which had been stored all winter (1875-6) on Majors Hill, were removed to the St. Lawrence and Ottawa Railway Sussex Street station in August 1876 and shipped west to be put to work on one of Mr. Gibson's railway contracts.


The tramway bridge is shown at the bottom of National Archives photo C-493. 
The date given is November 1873 but it may have been earlier as the tramway was extended to Parliament Hill in September 1873.

Sources: The Citizen, Ottawa - 19 July 1872, 17 and 27 September 1873; 24 August 1874 and 14 July and 18 August 1876.
              The Times, Ottawa - 25, 26 and 28 August 1874, 6 May 1875, 18 August 1875 and 11 October 1875.
              The Free Press, Ottawa - 21 July 1874; 24 August 1874; 26 May 1875 and 11, 12, 14 and 15 October 1875.

Finding No. 21 Updated March 2011

Railway Structures Destroyed by Fire

Over the years, a large number of Ottawa area railway structures have been destroyed by fire.  What follows is a list of those we have been able to identify.  They are shown in alphabetical order by location. Alexandria  GTR station - c.1916. {2}
Alfred Centre  CNR station - 9 March 1919. {3}
Almonte CPR station - 16 May 1911. {4}
Apple Hill CPR station burned in wreckage of collision between two freight trains - 6 September 1916 {4}
Athens  CNR station - 12 March 1942, the new station was authorized on 23 June 1942. {3}{4}{Steve Hunter}{Bob Moore}  
Aylmer  CPR station - April 1891.  {4}
Aylmer CPR station - 24 November 1926. {1} 
Aylmer CPR station - 30 January 1967. {5}
Beachburg CNR station - destroyed by fire 1931. {4}
Bedell overhead highway bridge at m. 99.88, Winchester sub. - 12 May 1934. {3} 
Bellamy's  
CPR station, 12 November 1886. {4}
Braeside  CPR station, 22 June 1919. {4}
Bristol  Pontiac and Renfrew Ralway enginehouse destroyed by fire shortly before April 1891. {4}
Britannia  OER station, before 26 August 1908. {4}
Brockville GTR freight sheds, partially destroyed - 11 July 1909 {4}
Brockville
  GTR locomotive shed - spring 1971. {Phil Jago}
Brockville CNR Perth Street crossing gate tower, derailment caused a stove to explode - Christmas 1970 {Phil Jago}
Buckingham CPR station - mid-April 1891. {4}
Caldwell  CNR station - 28 August 1924.  {4}
Cardinal GTR station - 6 February 1922. {2}
Carleton Place CPR carpenters shop - 27 July 1897. {4}
Carleton Place CPR roundhouse roof - 12 December 1911. {4}
Carlsbad Springs  GTR station burned September 1906.
Cascades
CPR station may have burned in 1910 but needs to be confirmed {Bruce Ballantyne}
Casselman
 CAR station and freight shed burned and bridge over South Nation river badly damaged by fire - 5 October 1897. {4}
Casselman
CNR station - 12 September 1937. {2}{4}
Cheney CAR. station - 5 October 1897. {4}
Chats Falls
Union Forwarding and Railway feight house, wharf and a "few rods" of railway - 21 September 1861 {4}
Chats Falls  
Union Forwarding and Railway - half a mile of track - 20 August 1870 {4}
Chats Falls
Union Forwarding and Railway - half a mile of trestle - 4 July 1871 {4}
Clarence Creek  CAR station possibly 6 Oct 1897 {4}
Clarendon  CPR (K&P) station burned 2 December 1917
Crysler Ottawa and New York Railway station - 1 September 1908. {4}
Dalkeith - GTR station, before April 1914. {2}
De Beaujeu - see St. Polycarpe Junction.
Deschenes Hull Electric Railway power house - 19 October 1909. {1}{4}
Deschenes Hull Electric Railway power house (unused for four years) - 24 May 1932 {4}
Douglas CAR station - 17 March 1902. {4)
Dwyer Hill CNR station and freight shed - 12 May 1941. {2}
Eganville GTR station and freight shed - 22 April 1915. {2}{4}
Embrun O&NY trestle - 11 July 1908. {1}{4}
Farrelton ON&W station - 27 October 1902 {4}
Federal (Rideau Junction) Canadian Northern Railway coal plant - October 1916. {1}
Finch  CPR/NYC station and freight shed - late 1926. {3}
Forfar  CNR station - 27 September 1941 {4}
Forfar  CNR roadmaster's house - after fall of 1979. {Steve Hunter/Phil Jago}
Gatineau CPR station - 29 May 1992 {5}
Gracefield O&G station - 18 December 1895. {4}
Gracefield CPR station - 3 September 1926. {1}
Glasgow  CNR station - 26 March 1945. {3}
Glen Robertson  GTR station - c.1916. {2}
Haleys  CPR station - demolished by a derailment of the Soo Express and subsequently caught fire - 10 December 1900. {4}
Hammond CAR station possibly 6 Oct 1897 {4}; GTR station - 13 June 1914.{2}
Hawkesbury CAR roundhouse 26 November 1898 {4}
Hawkesbury CNOR station - 28 December 1904 {2}
Hull  north end of the Interprovincial Bridge - 29 March 1946. {2}
Kemptville St. Lawrence and Ottawa station - destroyed in a storm 8 June 1874 {4}
Kinburn CNR station - June 1935. This was noted by Aubrey Mattingly but from later photographs this doesn't appear to have been the case.  Maybe this was a minor fire which did not destroy the fabric of the building.
Kingston CPR (K&P) car shops -12 September 1905. {1}
Kingston Kingston, Portsmouth and Cataraqui Electric Railway workshop - 1 June 1902 {4}
Kingston Kingston, Portsmouth and Cataraqui Electric Railway car barns - 12 January 1909. {1}{4}
Kingston Kingston, Portsmouth and Cataraqui Electric Railway car barns - 3 March 1930 (this ended service) {1}{Bernie Geiger/UCRS}
Jasper station - after 1969. {Phil Jago}
Laframboise - Canadian Northern station hit by lightning - 10 September 1912. {4}
Limoges - see South Indian 
Manotick
C.P.R. station and agent's house - Spring 1889. {4}
Maxville GTR station platforms and five boxcars loaded with pressed hay - 7 July 1911. {4}
Nolans CNoR station destroyed by fire when a kerosene lamp tipped over. (local story).
Newboro BW&SSM station - early August 1892 (hit by lightning). {4}
Ottawa Ottawa and Prescot Railway engine house - November 1857. {4}
Ottawa Ottawa and Prescott Railway Sussex Street/McTaggert Street station - 7 May 1860.{4}
Ottawa
CPR, car shed at the Chaudiere - 3 February 1890. {4}
Ottawa CPR, formerly St. Lawrence and Ottawa freight shed, formerly station, on Sussex Street - by July1895. {4}
Ottawa CAR Elgin Street roundhouse - 3 August 1899. {1}
Ottawa CAR Ottawa East car repair shops at Stewarton - 21 March 1902. {1}{David Jeanes}
Ottawa GTR freight shed - 16 August 1918. {1}
Ottawa Hull Electric waiting room under the Chateau Laurier - 16 January 1922. {4}
Ottawa Hall Fuels Ltd., warehouse, coal trestle,stockpiles (also 22 railway cars)  - 26 June 1956 {4}
Ottawa CNR car department office and stores building (eastern end), former CAR first passenger station (Elgin Street) - 21 December 1941.{4}
Ottawa City Passenger Railway  New Edinburgh stables hit by lightning and destroyed - 11 August 1891. {4}
Ottawa, Mann Avenue New York Central station - 2 April 1945 {4}
Ottawa Electric Railway storehouse adjacent to Albert street car barn - 6 January 1894. {4}
Ottawa Electric Railway Mill Street stables and machine shop - 5 May 1925. {1}
Ottawa Electric Railway  Rockcliffe street car barn - 25 September 1927. {1}
Ottawa Electric Railway  Rockcliffe street car barn - 18 September 1932. {4}
Ottawa Electric Railway  Rockcliffe street car barn - 23 June 1937. {4}
Ottawa West Canadian Pacific (formerly Canada Central) roundhouse - 26 October 1883. {4}
Ottawa West Canadian Pacific Union passenger depot - 14 November 1895. {4}
Ottawa West the Great Fire of Ottawa-Hull 26 April 1900 destroyed the CPR station, freight shed and facilities. {1}
Ottawa West central and east sections of roundhouse - 20 February 1905. {4}
Ottawa West east wing of roundhouse - 12 April 1910. {1}{4}
Ottawa West third CPR station burned 1968 -1969. (Bruce Chapman)
Perth CPR car shops - 5 July 1902. {1}{4}
Perth CPR locomotive house - 21 November 1926. {1}
Petawawa CPR station and two cars of plasterer's materials - 2 July 1883 {4}
Prescott CPR Prescott roundhouse - 12 April 1909. {4}
Prescott CPR offices, freight shed and nine boxcars on freight shed siding - 20 November 1912. {4}
Prescott Canadian Car and Passenger Transit building - 1970. {Phil Jago}
Renfrew CNR station 8 January1987 {4}
Rideau (near Kingston)
GTR station - 1912. {2}
Rideau (near Kingston) CNR station - 16 December 1933. {2}
Sharbot Lake K&P pumphouse and part of Union station - 7 May 1898. {4}
Smiths Falls CPR roundhouse - 24 August 1893. {4}
Smiths Falls  CPR coal dump - 17 January 1913. {4}
Smiths Falls CPR freight shed - 2 March 1922. {1}
Smiths Falls CPRstation, ground floor burnt out - 6 January 1930 {1}
South Indian CAR station and water tank - 5 October 1897 {4}
South Indian GTR passenger and freight station  - 1909.{3}
St. Polycarpe Junction GTR station - 12 May 1914. {4}
St. Polycarpe Junction GTR/CPR station, before 15 September 1925. {3}
Thurso CPR station - 1946. {3}
Tweed CPR station - 27 December 1941. {4}
Vars GTR station - 9 August 1907. {2}
Yonges Mills Section Foreman's house - 1990's. {Phil Jago}

Sources

{1} Railway and Shipping World.
{2} Files in National Archives.
{3} Orders of the Board of Railway Commissioners and subsequent bodies.
{4} Local newspapers.
{5} Bytown Railway Society, Branchline.

Finding No. 22 Updated 17 January 2003

Railway Pole Routes
Pole routes were used extensively by the railways to communicate between stations and offices.  Although not used now, these could provide the historian with some clues as to the locations of some photographs, particularly by reference to the number of cross arms.  The configuration of pole routes varied from time to time and the following tables show the situation in the Ottawa area in the 1960's.  These show only those sections which included a dispatchers' phone.  Additional wires and cross arms were used to work crossing circuits.

Canadian National - Number of Cross Arms
Beachburg sub.
Ottawa to Nepean
3
Beachburg sub.
Nepean to Brent
1
Renfrew sub.
Nepean to Golden Lake
?
Renfrew sub.
Golden Lake to Whitney
1
Locksley sub.
Whitney to National Junction, Pembroke
2 at 45 angle
Alexandria sub.
Coteau to Glen Robertson
1
Alexandria sub.
Glen Robertson to Ottawa
2

Canadian Pacific Railway - Number of Cross Arms
M&O sub.
Vaudreuil to Hurdman
3 but 4 if crossing signals needed
Lachute sub.
Lachute to Hull
1 but 2 if crossing signals needed
Belleville sub.
Smiths Falls to Glen Tay
5
Belleville sub.
Glen Tay to Agincourt via Trenton
3*
Havelock sub.
Glen Tay to Agincourt via Havelock
2*
Winchester sub.
Vaudreuil to Smiths Falls
4
Chalk River
Smiths Falls to Chalk River
4*
Maniwaki sub.
Hull to Maniwaki
1
Waltham sub.
Hull to Waltham
1
Cornwall sub.
Soulanges to Hurdman
1
Prescott sub.
Bedell to Prescott
1
Brockville sub.
Brockville to Smiths Falls
2
Eganville sub.
Payne to Eganville
1
Carleton Place sub.
Ottawa West to Carleton Place
4
*From the Dispatching office in Smiths falls to the junction of the Chalk River and Belleville Subs north of Cornelia Street in Smiths Falls (Now called SCOTT in the timetable), there were 8 crossarms, 4 for the Chalk River, 4 for the Belleville/Havelock subs.
Bruce Chapman


Finding No. 23 Updated 14 July 2003

The Miniature Train at Britannia Park

Britannia train

Bruce Ballantyne has provided this picture of the miniature live steam train that operated in Britannia Park until the 1950's.  Bruce writes:
"Note that the photo was taken in a strategic location and time with the passing of a CP passenger train on the Carleton Place Sub with Pacific-type #1227 hauling the train (#1227 was one of the last steam engines to run out of Ottawa into early 1960). Also note the little water tank and pipe at the left for filling the little engine's tender. From the looks of the kids, I would say the photo was taken in the early 1950s. I don't know when the train and tracks were removed."

As a follow up, Bernie Geiger writes that in 1962:
1. The train was running counterclockwise (to even out the wheel wear?).
2. The water tower was still there.
3. The locomotive (4-4-0) was pulling two cars, similar or identical to the previous ones.
4. The wire fence (next to the CPR mainline) in the background has been replaced with a picket type fence.

Bernie provides this additional picture.



Al Craig pointed out that the miniature railway was operated originally on Toronto Island (about 1905), then it was put into storage for a while. After that George Cooper bought it, brought it to Ottawa, and petitioned the City to operate it in Britannia Park, which he did.
 
About 1958 or 1960 Cooper moved it with him to Orillia where it has operated ever since in a park there and it was there at least until about 1998.

The locomotive may now have moved from Orillia to The Herschell Carrousel Factory Museum on Thompson Street in North Tonawanda.   Here is a good set of photos to compare it to: http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/mainbrace/302/armitageherschell.html

The stack is different but the cow-catcher, steps and overall design seem very similar.  It seems the locomotive was built by Cagney in 1892.

The Britannia Amusement Park is covered in this web site http://cec.chebucto.org/ClosPark#Britannia

Finding No. 24 Updated 16 March 2003

Change of Gauge at Prescott Junction

The Bytown and Prescott Railway was built to the standard gauge (4’ 8“) whereas the Grand Trunk Railway, with which it connected at Prescott junction, was built to the provincial 5’ 6” gauge.  Interchange of cars was not possible between the two lines and this did not, pose great difficulties at first, particularly bearing in mind that much of the traffic on the Bytown and Prescott was conveyed by car ferry across the St. Lawrence River where it was put on the standard gauge American network at Ogdensburg.

However, the Grand Trunk broad gauge system became extensive and the Bytown and Prescott (which became the Ottawa and Prescott and later the St. Lawrence and Ottawa) found itself at a disadvantage, particularly when the second railway into Ottawa, the Canada Central, was built to the wide gauge and had the advantage of easy interchange with the Grand Trunk at Brockville.  The Grand Trunk was also feeling the effects of the break of gauge with standard gauge railways and a solution was developed.

The Ottawa Citizen documents some through movements between the St. Lawrence and Ottawa and the Grand Trunk as follows:

For Chicago.  Nine cars belonging to the Canada Rolling Stock Company are at the St. Lawrence and Ottawa Railway station today to be loaded with sashes and doors to be sent through to Chicago without transshipment. (12 March 1871)

Mr. Luttrell of the St. L. & O. Railway left town yesterday after making arrangements with the wholesale merchants of this city for heavy shipments of goods for the west.  The freight will be sent without transshipment on change-gauge cars. (29 April 1871)

Seventeen cars laden with lumber were dispatched yesterday for Boston, to be delivered without transshipment via the St. L. & O. Railway. (18 May 1871)

Cars belonging to the National Car Company are at the St. Lawrence and Ottawa Railway depot, being loaded with beds, mattresses and bedsteads from Whiteside & Co.'s establishment, to be sent through to Chicago without transshipment. (7 November 1871)

This section of the Grand Trunk was converted to standard gauge on 3-4 October 1873, after which time cars could be interchanged freely.

How did the cars move from one gauge to the other?  This question is answered in:
The American Railroad Freight Car : From  the Wood Car Era to the Coming of Steel by John H. White Jr.   (John Hopkins Univ. Press,  Baltimore. 1993.) page 450.

ADJUSTABLE-GAUGE TRUCKS
“Before exploring other aspects of arch-bar trucks, we should study with greater care the 1868-1869 Grand Trunk truck mentioned earlier (Fig. 7.20). Because of its 5-foot 6-inch gauge, the Grand Trunk could not exchange cars with its connecting lines and was thus cut out from the economies of the interchange service just then developing. Just as the Union Line had experimented with broad-tread wheels to solve a similar problem, so too did the National Despatch Line, another fast freight line, develop a way to overcome the gauge difference, National Despatch adopted telescoping axles so that wheels could be reset for a 91/2-inch difference in track gauge.

“The scheme selected was patented by C. D. Tisdale of East Boston, Massachusetts, with the first patent having been issued in March 1863.  Special wheels with extra-large hubs were fitted with key wedges.  The axles were notched so that the wheels could be set at standard or 5 -foot 6-inch gauge.  The keys were locked in place by a long safety pin and giant rubber bands.  The position of the wheel was shifted by a gradually diverging or converging track.  In the shift from broad to standard, the keys would be loosened and removed at one end of the tapering track, workmen in a 4-foot-deep pit removed the keys from below the train.  A long shed was built over the pits to protect the workmen.  With the keys out, the train was slowly pushed down the track, and the wheels-would be forced inward as the train moved along the converging rails, Once at the end, the workers would reinsert and lock the wedges and the train could go on its way.  The change could be done in five to ten minutes.  When shifting to broad gauge, a third rail set inside the tapering track pushed the wheel out to the wider gauge.  Shifting stations were located at Point St. Charles, Montreal, and Sarnia, Ontario.  The plan was first tried in November 1863, yet no serious consideration was given to it until early 1868.  The tests proved so promising that by late in the following year two hundred adjustable-gauge cars were running between Chicago and Boston via the Michigan Central, the Grand Trunk, the Vermont Central, and several connecting lines in New England.  The problems of the northern east-west route seemed to have been resolved, and three hundred more cars were ordered by National Despatch.

“Just months later, however, the Grand Trunk announced plans to rebuild its entire line to standard gauge.  Major conversions were completed in 1872 and 1873, with all parts of the system having been remade to the Stephenson gauge by September 1874.  This disruptive and costly conversion might have been avoided had the changeable-gauge trucks worked as well as advertised.  Problems obviously had developed.  The keyway grooves were said to weaken the axles. Misgivings over the safety of the telescoping axles were voiced as early as 1846, long before the Grand Trunk test. Considerable skepticism was expressed as to the reliability of the workmen charged with loosening and tightening so many wheels day in and day out.  Even on the short freight trains of that time, could the men be trusted to pursue their jobs with care?  Crouching in a dank pit for ten hours with a rumbling train overhead could be tiresome and lead to boredom and negligence.  It seemed like a scenario for disaster.  Even if the axle crews proved true to their duty, the normal wear of the shifting wheels would beget loose fits, and even a slight wobble could cause a derailment.”


In spite of the potential disadvantages, the Grand Trunk felt this to be an advantage as this extract from the Ottawa Citizen of 12 July 1872 notes:
The Grand Trunk Railway authorities have recently issued a notice to the effect that the restrictions and difficulties existing hitherto at Port Huron, as regarded forwarding goods to the Western States, have at length been removed, and that the change of gauge cars of the Company enable it to ship goods, household effects, &c. to Chicago and other Western ports of entry without detention.
There is no reference in this account to a gauge change facility at Prescott Junction although this must have existed there, if only for a brief period.  Another interesting and unexpected item of our railway history.

(With thanks to David Knowles for the reference)

Updated September 2010

Findings    Circle